Saturday, December 21, 2013

Vienna, Austria


Vienna, where Christmas dreams come true. At least that is what I was told. So, when I had found a magazine article listing the top 5 Christmas markets in Europe. I knew my mother would want to go. She loves the holiday and this would be a different experience from regular sightseeing. When I mentioned the idea to my mom, her eyes sparkled. Yes! We decided to add one night on pur way to Prague. We left our apartment in Ljubljana and went to the train station for our journey to Vienna. Mom was getting better at traveling. She was expertly carrying backpack (12-15 lbs) and a small pack with snacks on the front. She was looking like a pro!
We arrived in Vienna after a freezing train ride.
The heat did not work in our cabin so, we kept our coats and scarves on the entire trip. I was happy I had long underwear. Since we had a cabin to ourselves, I laid down and took a little nap for part of the trip. I forgot how comfortable train travel is compared to buses. I love it! When we arrived in Vienna, we managed our way through the metro and walked to our hotel. It was late and we were both cold and tired and fell asleep immediately. Another hard day traveling on public transportation.

After a good nights sleep, we were ready to explore the city. We grabbed a couple of oranges before leaving the hotel. We would find breakfast or lunch later. We walked and ended up at the Christmas market. It was like mom had a sixth sense and was guided to the market. It was a little village of shops built in front of city hall. I swear my mother sighed when she saw it. Just like a kid on Christmas morning! We strolled past the shops looking at the handicrafts and the food. We decided the best option was to buy one item and share it. Then we could try more of the specialties. But what do we start with? Hmmm? I smelled warm roasted nuts and kept that on my list. We came upon the pastry booths first. Mmm. An almond twist! 
I was freezing and decided I needed to make a purchase. Warmth was wining over style and beauty. Time for a warm winter hat. I found this beauty that was lined with soft wool. I put it on and realized I looked like a 10 year old but it was warm and cozy. Yay! I think I can survive the cold weather now!
 We strolled through the shops looking at the goods. Everything from soaps, candles, Christmas ornaments and jewelry.
 
 
I splurged and bought myself a gift. I found this fantastic bracelet that is made of Tagua seeds.
 
They are an exotic seed from Colombia which are dried, peeled, drilled, colored by hand and polished. I was more intrigued when she told me they are from Colombia and gave me a list of places to visit. Now, I am really looking forward to getting to Colombia!
 
Groups of school children arrived and stared at the displays of toys and delicious goodies. It brought back memories of the wonder and excitement of the season as a child.
Afterwards, all of the school children appeared to be going on the Wiener Adventure around the park. Yes, I got a good chuckle out of this one!
After shopping we decided it was time for Austrian goulash served in a bread bowl. The goulash is a fantastic stew. It warmed me up and was delicious. Unfortunately, I could not say the same thing for the bread bowl. We finished off our meal with a cup of hot mulled wine and some roasted nuts.
 
We were frozen and decided to spend an extra 2 nights in Vienna. I found a fantastic budget hotel in Vienna (Hotel Pension APRI) for $42/night. This is a bargain in Vienna where most of the hotels start at $115/night. This place is the best kept secret in Vienna. It is a budget hotel but located in the center of Vienna with trams and metro nearby. We moved our bags to the new hotel and unpacked. I laid down on the bed to relax and warm up for a few minutes. I woke up two hours later! We had both fallen asleep. It was dark outside. What should we do? Hmmm. Mom looked at me and suggested we walk back to the Christmas market for dinner. Why not? We walked to the market and enjoyed the lights, sounds and people watching.  
 
The square was beautifully lit and  I was suddenly in the mood for Christmas. It also brought out the angel in me! Look how I sparkle!  
I went to get a baked potato with chili and mom waited for me in the garden. I returned and she wasn't feeling well so, we sat and watched the families while she enjoyed the fresh air. Children were happily playing and dancing to Christmas music. Parents were swaying with their children as they looked at the park with amazement. We decided to go back to our hotel. Tomorrow would be a day of sightseeing.
 
In the morning, walked to the city sights. We started at the Hofburg Palace and gardens. As we passed a statue, we noticed a clothes hanger by a naked statue. Poor guy, someone must have stolen his clothes. He has to be freezing in this cold weather!
We continued on to the Opera where we bought tickets to an evening concert. How can we go to Vienna and not enjoy some Mozart and Strauss? Mom was shocked that I was willing to go. I may have hated band as a kid but I appreciate all types of music.
 
We took the metro to Schonbronn Palace.  

 
 Afterwards we returned to Vienna and walked to Neuer Market , St Stephans and St. Perter's Cathedrals. We stopped at the Christmas Market for some final gifts and then back the concert. It was a fantastic performance of music, opera and ballet.
As we walked back to the tram, we both wish we had time for an opera. The music and art in Vienna is fantastic. Unfortunately, we were leaving on an early train to Prague.
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment