Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Valle de Cocora, Colombia

Everyone comes to Salento to visit the Valle de Cocora. I asked Colombians about the area and they all smiled and said it was the most beautiful place on Earth! I had to see it. Since Chantal and I arrived in Salento, it had rained heavily each afternoon. We decided we were going to have to tough it out and do the hike in the mud and rain. Whatever was required to see the national tree of Colombia, the Palma de Cera (Wax Palm). 
 
Chantal and I befriended an Russian girl who was traveling solo and staying at our hotel. We asked if she would like to join us on our hike in the morning. We made arrangements to leave at 9AM to catch the jeeps in the center of the square. The only concern she had was that she only had strappy sandals to wear. Chantal and I laughed as we had searched the internet looking for information on the hike. I did not have hiking shoes, I sent them home after lugging them around the world for 9 months. I had water sandals that were good for light hiking. We had been told it was muddy and noticed everyone in town that returned from the valley were covered in mud up to their knees. As I searched the internet, I found a suggestion to hike Valle del Cocora for the lazy hiker (http://jackandjilltravel.com/the-lazy-hikers-guide-to-valle-de-cocora/). We decided to follow the suggestion. It was confirmed when a huge thunderstorm rolled in at night and we could hear the rain pounding on the roof all night.
 
In the morning, we walked to the town square and asked for a jeep (Willy) to the Valle Del Cocora.  
 
 We all piled into the jeep. I was surprised as we kept adding people. It was scrunched with 11 of us inside the jeep and 3 men hanging on the back of the jeep. We bounced down the road, around the turns and up into the hills a half hour away. As I stepped out of the darkness and looked into the sky. I was surrounded by stunning views.
 
These are the wax palms of Colombia. They can grow up to 60 meters tall. It only grows in the Colombian Andes at altitudes of over about 3,200 feet (1000 meters).
 
Everywhere I looked I was amazed by the beauty of the Valle de Cocora. We followed the sign for the La Montana hike up the road. Within 5 minutes of walking we were surrounded by the majestic palms and landscape.
 
We passed a horse waiting on the side of the road. I stopped to scratch her ears and nose. She was beautiful and I started contemplating a return trip to the valley on horseback.

But today, I was hiking the glorious hills and valleys. We followed the path and enjoyed the natural sights.

We continued following the road until we came across a river that had flooded the bridge. In the distance we could see a footpath and plank bridge. 
 

We decided to turn back and walk into the hills covered with the wax palms. As we wandered back along the road, we passed a guy camping on the side of the road. He suggested that we go through the fence and up a path. We took his recommendation and it was breathtaking. We were surrounded by the palms. 
 
 
They towered over us and each of us was snapping pictures as we said "wow!" 

 
We continued walking up over the hills an through pastures with cattle grazing. A dog joined us on our walk and liked chasing the cattle. We had to keep an eye on him. 
 
At one point we heard the loud mooing of a cow and looked to our left. We could see a cow running at full speed down the hill. Luckily, it was not because our dog was chasing him! We walked and enjoyed natures beauty. This was one if the most beautiful and tranquil places I had visited. I will never forget this beautiful valley in central Colombia. 
 
We walked back towards the jeeps and and stopped for ice cream at a roadside stand. Mmm! When we got back to the jeeps there was a gentleman that wanted to go back immediately rather than waiting for a full jeep. He had been told the cost was 27,000 pesos ($13.50). We all agreed to split the cost and go back. The 4 of us loaded I to the jeep. As we started down the hill, I suddenly felt tight chested an had severe stomach cramps. Ugh! I started sweating and felt sick to my stomach. I told the others in the jeep and we discussed if it was altitude sickness, motion sickness or bad ice cream. We asked the driver to let us out at our corner. When I got out of the jeep, I could barely stand up. I walked back to our room an laid down. I heard thunder in the distance and raindrops on the roof. Luckily, we arrived before the thunderstorm! I laid flat for 15 minutes and I felt fine. We decided it was a little motion sickness. Whew! I felt fine the rest I the day and ha taken beautiful photos of the Valle de Cocora. 

No comments:

Post a Comment